Take Your Kids Out for A Fun Ride With These Awesome Bike Seats That Hook Up to Your Bike
Bike seats for children are an easy and fun way to connect with your child as you go on a stress relieving bike ride. They are available in different mounting styles and selecting the best toddler bicycle seat is vital. This child bike seat review will provide you with a guide to finding the perfect one for you and your child.
Prerequisites to using child bike seats
It is important to determine your needs before buying a bicycle seat. Child bicycle seats come in different designs and with different demands. In this child bike seat review, we will explain what you need look for to finding the right seat for your child’s bike.
Compatibility of your bike with a child bike seat
Type of child bike seat you seek to mount
Once you determine your bike is compatible with a seat, choosing where to mount it is the next vital step. It is possible to mount the seat on different positions on the bike, but this is highly dependent on the requirements of your bike. There are three different mounting positions on a bike, all with their specific requirements:
These are the most common seats fit over the rear wheel of your bike. They are larger than front-mounted seats and provide extra features such as footrests, buckles, reclining, and suspensions.
Most rear-mounted seats are currently frame mounted as opposed to a rack, this means that they fasten to the bicycle frame. However, you cannot see what your child is doing while cycling. The following two conditions can adequately help in determining that your bike will properly fit this type of seat:
- The seat tube needs to be clear of the presence of any brake and gear cables for proper mounting
- Enough clearance between the child bike seat and frame of the bicycle
These seats come with a bar that goes between the head and seat tube (crossbar), therefore do not require a straight top tube.
These seats are mounted between the rider’s hands, and children often feel secure and are more comfortable to be involved in the cycling experience. They also provide a clear view in addition to enabling easy communication. However, the weight, and journey length are major limitations. You need to consider the following conditions for this type of child bike seat:
- The type of headset available on your bike. Handlebars with threadless headsets have bases that are too wide for the quick-release brackets to fit in comparison to threaded headsets.
- Your bike needs to have adequate space to mount the seat
- The distance between the seat tube and bicycle handlebars needs to be adequate to reduce the difficulty in riding with the front-mounted seat.
Age and Weight
A majority of these seats are designed for children between the ages of 9 months to 4 years and varying weights. Rear-mounted seats provide the biggest range of between 20-48 pounds. Furthermore, rear-mounted seats are more accommodating in size and age.
It is important that any child bike seat include secure foot straps in addition to the footrests. Having only a footrest may endanger the child to feet in spokes accident by letting their legs dangle. It is also important to have knowledge of other things that may be entangled in the spokes such as scarfs and mittens, and untied shoelaces.
For safety, most child seats come with a three-point safety buckle, with straps securing the child to the seat. In comparison to trailers, child seats are not as conspicuous and it may be necessary to have a reflective or LED light fixed on the seat.
Bicycle seats for children should have a complete head and back support. A reclining seat is better for a child. Such as seat does not strain the child’s back and neck. A padding to the seat is also important and should be easy to maintain if the child soils it.
Suspension on a bike seat absorbs the shock of travelling on a bumpy road and cushions the child from such impacts. Suspension provides a more comfortable ride and is mainly provided on rear-mounted seats. As you cycle, wind blows past and for a child this may be a health danger. Rear-mounted seats do not have this flaw in comparison to front-mounted seats.
What we recommend
It is very difficult to select the right bike seat for your child that meets your needs. If you have no idea which brand you want to buy, check our reviews below.
iBert Child Bicycle Safe-T-Seat
If you are looking for the best toddler bicycle seat, it is necessary to search for one that combines features of safety and comfort in their design. The iBert Bicycle Safe T-Seat exactly provides parents with that.
The design also ensures that there is an interaction between the child and parents making the ride enjoyable.
This seat can also detach or attach in a matter of minutes making it unnecessary to have it on your bike without your child. Furthermore, it encourages mobility for the rider because it is mounted at the center. It has a padded wheel; a feature that enables the child to turn the steering wheel with their parents as well as provides them with an unobstructed view.
The product is also attractive to your child as it comes in three kid friendly colors: green, red, and pink.
- It is made of tough molded plastic
- It includes a padded steering wheel for safety and play
- It is mounted at the center to provide increased movement for the rider
- It has an innovative and attractive design
- It is suitable for children between ages 1-4
- The seat is securely positioned behind the bicycle handlebar providing safety to the child
Schwinn Child Carrier
The Schwinn Child Carrier is a child bike seat mounted on a frame at the rear.
This design is suitable for those looking to protect their children from the effects of wind while riding, features that front-mounted child seats lack.
Schwinn also provides an affordable toddler seat in comparison to others. Moreover, it combines safety and durability in its design.
- It is made from polypropylene that is light and strong
- It is secure with a quick release harness, padded handlebar and leg restraints for the child
- It is suitable for children weighing up to 40 pounds and ages 1+.
- It is a rear child bike seat that is frame mounted
- Has a detachable headrest
- The seat includes a seat spring guard and a spoke guard to protect the feet
Belleli Pepe Rear Mounted Baby Carrier
Coming in two different fitting methods, the clamp fit and the standard fit, this rear-mounted carrier has a contrasting color scheme attractive to both you and the child.
The simple mounting design also makes it possible to mount it at the front. The incorporation of safety harness and foot straps provides additional safety.
It is light, comfortable and capable of accommodating children of different heights because of its adjustable footrest. It is particularly useful for parents with several kids.
- Made for children aged 7 and below
- It is versatile and can be mounted on the rear and front
- For additional safety, it has a three point seat belt and foot straps
- Made from plastic that is light, durable and washable
- Quick release feature that makes it easy to attach and detach
- Has height adjustable footrests
Thule 2016 RideAlong Child Bike Seat
For parents looking for a lightweight, easy to install and comfortable child bike seats, then the Thule RideAlong seat provides all these features.
The seat comes with a different set of options that provide safety and comfort to your child.
Its design provides the maximum comfort for your child on the next bike ride.
- Has a three point adjustable harness for comfort and safety
- A secure seat belt to safely hold your child
- A single-hand adjustable button for five different recline positions
- Has a quick release bracket to safely secure the seat
- Includes a height adjustable foot rest
- Includes a double beam suspension system to absorb shock while riding
- Has armrests that double as walls to protect your child’s hands when the bike is against a wall
WeeRide Kangaroo Child Bike Seat
The center mounted WeeRide Kangaroo Child Bike Seat provides your child with the best viewing experience of the surrounding as you ride with them.
Parents who are overly concerned with the safety of their children can now keep a close eye on them as they ride with the center mount feature.
This child bike seat comes with instructions that make it easy to install.
In addition, it provides enough room for your child and does not interfere with the performance of your bicycle.
- Made from a strong steel-plastic combination that is usable on any bike
- Has height adjustable foot bucket
- Comes with a padded front bumper
- Childproof safety belt for additional safety
- Suitable for kids above 1 year
- Has a steel support bar that does not hamper with the brake and gear cables
For those into cycling and want to introduce their children to this way of having fun, getting the best toddler bicycle seat is a way to get them started. There is a wide variety of child bike seats all meeting different criteria, but from our child bike seat review, you will have to get the Thule 2016 RideAlong Child Bike Seat.
The rear-mounted seat provides safety and comfort to the rider and child and is easy to install in comparison to the other seats. It might not fit on all bikes but the varieties of its features for the price you have to pay, make it quite suitable.